With our reliance on electricity in modern day living, there are a number of potential electrical safety hazards in our homes. Fortunately, it’s possible to reduce or eliminate these hazards by being aware and taking certain steps to remove these dangers.
It’s best to hire the services of an experienced and licensed electrician for regular preventive maintenance services. They will inspect your property and all the electrical installations on it. They can identify potential problems and fix them as well as any existing ones that they notice on your property.
ELECTRICAL HAZARDS TO BE AWARE OF
Here is a list of the most dangerous electrical hazards that exist on residential properties:
#1 Defective Or Poor Quality Electrical Wiring
Good quality wiring that’s designed to safety standards is crucial for safety. Poor quality wiring can considerably increase chances of arc faults, power surges, and fire, among other things. For this reason, it’s best to avoid DIY electrical work and hire a professional electrician to perform electrical work around the house.
Deteriorated or damaged electrical wires increases the chances of electrical accidents occurring. As mentioned at the outset, hire a certified electrician to check your wiring and other electrical fittings on a regular basis. Never delay upgrading faulty and old wires.
#2 Electrical Outlets Very Close to Water
Outlets in the kitchens, bathroom, laundry areas or any other space with water should always be installed a good distance away from water sources. As water is a good conductor of electricity, keeping the outlets away from any water source reduces the chances of electrocution. Never use hair dryers, phones, radios or other electrical device in the bath, near your pool, or any place that has wet flooring.
#3 Handle Electrical Equipment With dry Hands
Never handle electrical appliances with wet hands. This increases the chances of you getting an electric shock. It isn’t uncommon for us to reach for our hairdryer with wet hands when we just get out of the shower. Or we may use some other electrical device without drying our hands. Keep appliances at a safe distance from bathtubs, sinks, taps, and showers.
#4 Trying To Douse An Electrical Fire With Water
This is one of the most dangerous mistakes you can make. If an electrical fire does break out on your property, do not pour water on the flames. This will only aggravate the fire and can also cause electrocution. Make sure that there are some fire extinguishers in your home especially in areas like kitchens and near bathrooms.
#5 Extension Cords
These should always be very carefully put in a place where they don’t pose a tripping risk. Place plastic socket closures on all unused sockets. Never use an extension cord as a permanent substitute for extra power points and don’t overload extension cords either.
#6 Dangers Of Lightbulbs
Keeping light bulbs near any flammable material can potentially lead to an electrical fire. This includes plastics, drapes, beds and other furniture with upholstery on it. It’s also important that you never replace a light bulb before switching off the power source. Never replace a bulb with wet hands and make sure you use a bulb of the right wattage in all the fixtures in your home; this will help prevent overheating.